Arkansas Backcountry
Welcome to Arkansas Backcountry!

If you are a returning member, please click below to log in.

If you are a guest, WELCOME! You'll be able to view most of our discussions, but you won't be able to post anything unless you register as a member. It's free and very easy, we promise.

What are you waiting for? Register already! See you inside...

Caves?

Go down

Caves?

Post by TNFrontier on Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:40 pm

In my hikes, I would like to explore some caves, but I have not had any luck in locating any in the Arkansas Ozarks. Anyone know of any good ones?
TNFrontier
Happy Camper

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Caves?

Post by Clif on Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:02 pm

Are you 'sperienced? Blanchard Springs forest guys can show you a couple, but you can't be a rookie. Also the bat fungus/virus whatever had many caves off limits. Is that still on?

Lost valley too simple for ya? It is cool. Ponca area over near Jasper. A river map or topos will show you a couple more in that neighborhood.
Clif
Trail Guide

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Preacha Man on Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:23 pm

The Indian Creek trail has a few caves. It is a primitive trail off of the Buffalo right in Ponca. To get there go to Kyles Landing and then head to Steel Creek. When you hit Steel Creek, just follow it away from the Buffalo River. Eventualy you will run into the Arkansas Cave, but it is off limits. From the Arkansas Cave you head up a sttep cliff into a depession, and at the top there is a neat little cave. Going on from there you go through a little tunnel, and then over to the eye of the Needle. Good little hike, but keep an eye out for the trail, it is not marked, take a map!!
Preacha Man
Mountain Man

View user profile https://www.facebook.com/#!/dwightg

Back to top Go down

Post by Coldspring on Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:27 am

I think there are probably more caves in Missouri.
Coldspring
Real Backpacker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Clif on Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:04 am

Coldspring wrote:I think there are probably more caves in Missouri.
.... The Ozarks... thousands of "known" caves. Probly lots more that are not so much common knowledge or even yet to be discovered... or explored and mapped back into their full glory. Mo claims over 6000, Ar.. if memory serves was 2000. That number may have counted part of MO also... not sure.
Clif
Trail Guide

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by zenlizard on Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:43 pm

TNFrontier,

Do you know any good caves in your neck of the woods?

zenlizard
Real Backpacker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Coldspring on Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:37 pm

Are you really wanting to go caving, or just check a few out? I always liked to peek around in the big ones a little, but I'm too scared to go caving when it involves crawling or climbing equipment. Seems like more and more are getting gated.
Coldspring
Real Backpacker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TNFrontier on Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:21 pm

There are caves in TN, but most are east of the TN river. There was one near Linden TN that we used to go to some in college... but I have forgotten the exact location. It was probably on private land!
TNFrontier
Happy Camper

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenn_Trekker on Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:06 am

I did the Wild Cave Tour in Mammoth Caves National Park in Kentucky earlier this year. The guided cave tour was a 6 hour experience of a life time. It was worth every dime I spent on it and actually seemed like they under charged...and I am cheap! http://www.recreation.gov/tourSearchResult.do?contractCode=NRSO&parkId=77817

Be prepared to get sweaty and dirty and reservation in advance are required! The group is limited to 12 or 14 people and there was a lot of one on one time.
Tenn_Trekker
Real Backpacker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by VanIam on Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:01 pm

There is a grotto in Little Rock that you could contact. I am not sure if they will give coordinates without being a member of their group, but they meet on the 1st Thursday of each month in Maumelle. Here is their website. http://www.caves.org/grotto/lrg/ Hope that helps.
VanIam
Happy Camper

View user profile http://www.myspace.com/arbeechwood

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down