Arkansas Backcountry
Welcome to Arkansas Backcountry!

If you are a returning member, please click below to log in.

If you are a guest, WELCOME! You'll be able to view most of our discussions, but you won't be able to post anything unless you register as a member. It's free and very easy, we promise.

What are you waiting for? Register already! See you inside...

First Aid

Go down

First Aid

Post by ar.hiker on Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:25 am

There was a discussion in ulhiker's Sub-4lb backpacking list thread and I thought it was interesting what people think is a minimal type first aid kit. I probably carry more than I need, but I do a lot of trail work and need to be prepared for cuts especially. I also hike alone a lot and feel more comfortable knowing I'm prepared for just about anything. I would also feel kinda bad about not being able to help someone out if I did come across someone that needed some advanced first aid and I was not prepared, especially a child. I carry a complete Outdoor Research Hiker first aid kit, and add:

small bottle of ibuprofen
benadryl
imodium
cortisone cream
moleskin

I also carry duct tape and a needle and thread for gear repair mainly but duct tape could be used to close a bad cut or secure a splint. I'd hate to have to suture myself up but if the situation called for it at least I have the option.

I'd be interested in what others carry or think is a minimal first aid kit.
ar.hiker
Real Backpacker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: First Aid

Post by Preacha Man on Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:49 pm

I carry:

Cloth athleic tape on my poles
about 4 200mg Ibueprofin
4 band aides
4 alcohol wipes
a mult-Vitamin pack per day
and my Bandana (trail hankie map)

Lately if I push myself too hard, I develop a headache in the afternoons, so I carry electrolite tablets and they usually help it out.

I have never thought about a needle and thread, but that would be very minimal in weight. Not a bad idea.
Preacha Man
Mountain Man

View user profile https://www.facebook.com/#!/dwightg

Back to top Go down

Post by Coldspring on Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:07 pm

Pint of whiskey. clown
Coldspring
Real Backpacker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ar.hiker on Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:51 am

Coldspring wrote:Pint of whiskey. clown

Is that for a day hike, or an overnighter? Rolling Eyes
ar.hiker
Real Backpacker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Clif on Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:42 am

Seems kinda "heavy" to me?? Wink
Clif
Trail Guide

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Coldspring on Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:55 am

I couldn't find any info on an Outdoor Research first aid kit. Do they still make them?

Do you encounter a lot of injured children on trails in Arkansas?

I carry an Adventure Medical Kits Ultralight .5. Added some thread and needle, bandaids, and moleskin. It's actually overkill at about 4 oz.

What is the benadryl and immodium for?

It's hard to make a pint last over a two-nighter. They are great for sore feet! Am I allowed to talk about such things being that there are so many dry counties in Arkansas? Razz
Coldspring
Real Backpacker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by willky1 on Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:19 am

Here's a discussion about the topic. It helped me cut down the kit I carry.
willky1
Child of The Wilderness

View user profile http://www.backpacking.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ar.hiker on Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:28 am

I don't think the Outdoor Research kit is made under the same name?

I've not seen any injured children on the trail, but I have on the rivers, usually cut feet. I guess for me I just feel more comfortable knowing if I come across someone who needs help I'll be prepared.

Benadryl is an antihistimine, good for allergys, stop itching of insect bites or poison ivy, sleep aid. Immodium for diarrhea.

Does the whiskey make you forget about your sore feet or do you rub down your feet with it? Smile
ar.hiker
Real Backpacker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Coldspring on Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:55 pm

ar.hiker wrote:/>Does the whiskey make you forget about your sore feet or do you rub down your feet with it? Smile

I gotta do something to sound manly to my redneck friends. Heck, they even make fun of me for drinking craft beers. If I told them I like to take pictures of flowers and butterflies, set up camp by a peaceful brook, build a small fire and gaze at it flickering, nibble on some gourmet chocolate, sip a cup of hot cocoa, worry about how much my spoon and toothbrush weighed, um even used a toothbrush, caress my sore feet, etc... they'd think I was a sissy.

Whiskey has has multi-uses. Treats contaminated water, emergency stove fuel, replaces pain relievers, replaces sleep aids, replaces anxiety medication, a topical medication for cuts, instantly relieves sore feet while in the process of hiking, helps you convince yourself to keep going, and just lightens up the doldrums on a cold cloudy day.
Razz
Coldspring
Real Backpacker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by chili on Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:06 pm

Whiskey has has multi-uses. Treats contaminated water, emergency stove fuel

Holy cow! What are you packing? PGA?

;-)
chili
Real Backpacker

View user profile http://www.myspace.com/chili36

Back to top Go down

Post by Coldspring on Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:56 am

chili wrote:Whiskey has has multi-uses. Treats contaminated water, emergency stove fuel

Holy cow! What are you packing? PGA?

;-)

100 proof bourbon. I'm not even sure if it would burn in the cold. If I got into that situation I think I would better off to just drink it. Smile

Back on topic. I realized I had some antihistamines in my First aid kit and didn't realize it. I had 18 band aids! I used to use a plain ziploc with a few things in it, but I decided I wanted something nice that looked like a first aid kit. If something did happen and a rescuer needed to dig in my pack, they would have no idea what to look for with the plain ziploc. I'm not really sure what good band aids would do if I was that unconscious. What I will do, is make two kits and put them in separate aloksaks, one for just a weekender and one that I'll never get to use, then slide the aloksak in my first aid kit case.
Coldspring
Real Backpacker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dfieldhiker on Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:26 pm

Ok I thought I posted this so if it turns up somewhere else sorry. I was talking to my niece about first aid and she said they had a discussion in one of her classes about using super to cover cuts. I bought some and took it camping. I though about using it on hot spots before they become blisters. It seemed to work but we were only doing some light day hiking. Does anyone else have any thoughts or experiences?
Dfieldhiker
Backcountry Explorer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by chili on Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:06 pm

Super glue works on cuts, but I worry about trapping dirt or crud in there if I cant flush it well.

Never tried it on a blister.
chili
Real Backpacker

View user profile http://www.myspace.com/chili36

Back to top Go down

Post by Trail Monkey on Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:03 pm

I have used "NuSkin" with a lot of success on blisters. Even Lea used a little this past weekend.
Trail Monkey
Master of the Arkansas Backcountry

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by onepaddlejunkie on Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:59 am

I have a half dozen or so first aid kits including the “large bag o stuff” in my truck, the large Otter box that I bring for multi day – multi person raft trips and smaller kits depending on the situation. My minimal kit is a .3 oz bottle of New Skin Liquid Bandage. My wife leads a hiking group once a month and I try to make all of the hikes I can. When we do these trips, I always bring one of the more expansive kits just in case. I make up my own kits and the smaller ones are generally packed in small waterproof dry bags. With about 500 or so hours of emergency medical training over the past 30 years, I have developed a pretty good feel for what I think I will need one hand, but on the other hand I am always wondering how to improve the kits and will shuffle the contents around on a whim. If you asked me what was in my kit, my response may be “what day is it?”

onepaddlejunkie
Day Hiker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum